African public opinion
Afrobarometer is a group that conducts public opnion research in Africa. A few days back, they released the results of a survey, conducted in 15 countries, on attitudes towards democracy, the economy, etc. Some of the findings ...
• They define poverty less in terms of shortages of income than in terms of getting enough to eat;The Economist has a short article (subscriber only access) giving an overview of the survery.
• After two decades of economic reform, people are more dissatisfied than satisfied.
• Africans abhor violence and attribute social conflict to causes other than ethnic differences;
• More than half of all adults interviewed complain of health impairment, including AIDS; and
• On the people’s development agenda, unemployment is the top problem requiring attention.