Saturday, December 06, 2003

Zimbabwe: Mugabe not quitting office ... plus, "warns" MDC

Mugabe gave a speech at the ZANU-PF party congress ... says he's sticking around till his term ends in 2008 ....
"If I feel I cannot do it (govern) anymore, I'll come to you in an honourable way and say, 'Ah no. I think I've now come to a stage where I need a rest.' I'll tell you that.

"I haven't told you that, have I?" he told the jubilant crowd of supporters. (link)
And the other thing he said ...
"I want to thank you for affirming the leadership and for sending a message to those among us who might think time for a leadership change has come." (link)
Mugabe also issued a warning to the oppositon group, Movement for Democratic Change (MDC)...
"If they (the MDC) want to violate the laws of the country, we can unleash legal force and legal violence, which we are permitted to do." (link)
And ... ZANU-PF passed a resolution calling for Zim to pull out of the Commonwealth.

Yesterday's post ...